VFS: Cannot open root device

Okay, here's the deal.

I'm a newbie trying to get Debian Woody to work on my comp.
Unfortunately, the native 2.4.18 kernel shipped with it doesn't support my network card.

On the other hand, compiling a newer 2.4 kernel resolves the problem. BUT, I'm trying to compile a 2.6 kernel (which I've heard many good things about). In fact I've been trying to compile 2.6.4 and 2.6.4-ck2.
The compilation itself doesn't encounter any problems, so that's clear.

The problem comes at boot time, where I can the following message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "341" or hdb1
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hdb1

Any ideas how to fix this? I've read around a bit, some people claim that it's due to missing IDE drivers, so I activated them all just in case and... nothing happens. LILO doesn't seem to be the problem either, considering that the original vmlinuz image has the exact same configuration as the new compiled one.

Many thanks in advance,
Markus.