Re: upgrade broken (Testing) for 10 days - libxrender

Uwe Dippel wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:50:05 +0200, Uwe Dippel wrote:

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:30:17 +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:

Coming to libxrender-dev: seems libxrender1 depends on a lower version
than installed. You can try to manually download libxrender-dev
version 0.8.3-5 and carefully dpkg --force downgrade --install it (not to
mess up the rest of the packages/dependencies).
Done, but doesn't help. Only the last message goes away:

# apt-get upgrade Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
 libxaw7-dev: Depends: x-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libxmu-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libxt-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libsm-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libice-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libxext-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libx11-dev but it is not installed
              Depends: libxpm-dev but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Found a way out myself; but somewhat difficult:

I just experienced this not half an hour ago.
I just did a large install, almost an upgrade
(I'm trimming my system, and upgrading packages at the same time).
I had just removed a whole lot of Gnomes window managers, and updated xserver
and xserver-common, reconfigured resolution and horizontal/vertical,
so I thought I was about to lose my display, because that's what all the library files
in question seemed to relate to.
I had a few more than that, librandr-dev comes to mind, and I just aptitude installed them.
Aptitude replaced my list with newer versions, not installing outdated ones.
I logged out and back in again after autoclean, and everything was fine.
Regards,

David.