Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

Joey Hess wrote:
Erik Steffl wrote:

well, yes. but: in slovakia the name for the country is holandsko (slovak spelling for holland). maybe it insults some people in netherlands but that's how it is. so for me it makes perfect sense to call that country holland, I didn't even knew it's called netherlands until I learned english...

The Debian installer is fully localised, this includes translations of
all the country names in the installer, into all the languages supported
by the installer.

what does that have to do with the point? the point being that it's not that easy to figure out what to call the country and it's IMO better to leave it to some standard body instead of making statements one way or another (e.g. for/against china/taiwan). [i.e. my point wasn't about whether I get Holandsko if I choose slovak language]

Please don't cause needless traffic by crossposting to debian-boot if
you are unfamiliar with and have never used the Deban installer.

well, I doubt the localization can kick in before user makes a choice (for which there is a need to make a list of offered choices, i.e. list of countries and languages, which is what we were discussing, I believe). [of course, the choice can either be at the run time or by choosing localized boot disks in the first place]

	erik