Re: Linux Server, Please Help

Bill Kalebaugh wrote:
I want to change my Windows server to a Linux server but can not find out what programs
to use or if it is possible.

IT is certainly possible.  It may just require a bit reading/work.

I have goggled and looked at a lot of how-tos but I can not find out if I can set up a server to replace the proxy server I have now running windows-98, proxy+, and Sygate Personal Firewall.

All of these have excellent replacements that are available as part of
the main Debian distribution.

The proxy server is a Pentium 200Mhz with 32MB of ram with a 2GB hard drive hooked to a dial-up
I am guessing that with a machine this old the modem is probably not
a winmodem (I have a Pentium Pro 200 that has a regular hardware modem).

56K modem. It feeds a LAN through a hub. On the LAN is a network printer, and other computers running, Windows 2000, Windows98, Linux-Debian and Linux-Suse8.2. All on the LAN have fixed
IP addresses and the ISP is obtained automatically.
This is not a problem either.

My ISP lets you have 6 different mail accounts, so I have two accounts and my wife has her one
email address.
This should not make a significant difference.

The proxy server will auto dial and get mail at a predetermined time frames form the ISP with out the
You can setup a cron job that will dial your ISP, download mail, and
then disconnect.

other computers turned on. When I come up on a Linux computer I get my email and surf the web with Mozilla or my wife can come up on Windows2000 with Mozilla and will the do the same. We
also surf at the at the same time.
You can also set up diald, which listens for outgoing network traffic,
dials when it is sensed, and then disconnects after a specified idle
period.

As far as a firewall, you will almost certainly want to use iptables,
to which there are numerous front ends avialable.  Personally, I like
shorewall (Shoreline Firewall) and I use it on every server that I
admin.

Is there any free software out there for Linux-Debian that will let me do this. Or do I have to stay
with W-98 for a server.

As I have explained above, there is software that will do what you want.
There are also typically many other choices available, so pick what you
like.  As far as using Win98 for a server, I would imagine that it is
like trying to use a champagne glass to catch the spill of a waterfall.
Win98 was not designed as a server OS, and I certainly would not use
it that way under any circumstances (just my opinion).

If any one can give me a list of software I need and briefly how to do it. Please let me know so I
Can get rid of Windows.

Give the programs I noted above a shot.  Start off by looking through
tldp.org (The Linux Documentation Project).  There are several HOWTOs
available that describe all or part of the setup that you want.  Start
there and come back if you have specific questions.  It is much easier
to answer your specific questions that it is it expect someone to write
a detailed HOWTO for your specific situation without knowing all the
details of your situation.

Good like in dumping Windows.

Thanks
Bill Kalebaugh