Database performance

Hi,

I do a lot of database work. Sometimes I must do massive batch jobs on my box
such as:

 -- multi-gigabyte database dumps and restores
 -- tests over millions of records, searching for overlooked cases
 -- one-off queries for sales & marketing typs that join 8 or 9 tables

The problem is that these things often take 10 to 30 minutes to run on my box. When I use the GNU time utility, I see a low PCPU number, typically between 15 and 25%. CPU utilization viewed through top remains at 35% or so, and I never go deeper than a few tens of kilobytes into swap, even though the 1 minute load
average climbs to 2 and higher (I've seen peak numbers around 6).

I'm using a single Seagate 40GB ATA-133 as my sole hard drive, and my system has an Athlon 2600 processor and 1 GB of RAM. Am I correct in thinking that the
bottleneck lies in the HD subsystem?

--
Christopher L. Everett

Chief Technology Officer                               www.medbanner.com