Re: Modules from other dist's ??

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 05:16:27PM -0500, Phil wrote:
> I couldn't get my NIC to work because the module didn't exist in except on
> the internet. (can't logon).  I found the module I need (e1000.o) when I
> put  SuSE the machine.  Can I copy the e1000.o file into the /lib/..../net/
> directory when I put Debian back on  and use it??  or are these things
> complied differently for different distributions??

There is a very small chance this will work. However your best bet is to
recompile the kernel with the relavent module. 'make-kpkg' is the Debian
way(and quite handy) but you can always do this the traditional way:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.whatever
cd /usr/src
tar -xjf something.tar.bz2
cd kernel-source*
make menuconfig  #you might prefer xconfig - choose your module here
make dep clean modules bzImage modules_install install

Ensure LILO(or grub) is set up properly and reboot.

Brian