Preventing default route being wrongly attached

Hi all,
Q1 How do I reconfigure a Debian 3.x system 2.2.20-idepci so that the default route is not tied to the sl0 / slip device.
eth0 is setup to be connected to a 3c509 ethernert card.

Why do I need to do this.
It appears that having sl0 atached to the default route before doing a dial up which uses ppp cause ppp to login correctly, but then fail on sending of packet data / ping data nothing is sent.

Do I need sl0 /slip support to be active if want to support dial too my pc and dialout to a isp that supports ppp. If not how do I prevent slip support from loading.

thanks
Robert Fernando