Re: Installing problems

Hello

Javier García (<jgarcia1709@hotmail.com>) wrote:

> Hello, I've recently installed a Debian Linux(3.0 r1) distribution in
> my PC (AMD Athlon 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM) and I've found some problems, I'd
> thank you very much if you could answer to my problems, here they are:
> I've managed to install succesfully the system base (kernel ... and it
> works properly(in console) so far), but I haven't been able to
> configure the X and the mouse (which is USB device)
>
> 1º - Enclosed are some files you may need to know where the problems
> are:
>        (i've got a 15inch TFT SAMSUNG V[56-75],H[30-60] and a Riva TNT
> graphics card)

You can delete /etc/X11/XF86Config. I recommend to configure XFree using
debconf:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

The configuration file that is created will be called
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4. You should select the "nv" driver for your card.

> 2º - The Logitech mouse (USB): Is that a problem of the kernel, does
> it support USB devices like my USB modem DSL, as well?

When configuring your mouse, select /dev/input/mice. You probably have
to load the mouse drivers:

modprobe mousedev hid input

To make sure they are loaded at boot time, add them to /etc/modules.
Make sure the kernel you use has the drivers you need. I don't know how
goot the USB support in the 2.2 installation kernels is. Debian also
comes with several 2.4.18 kernel images that you can install on an
running system.

> 3º - How could i install my DSL internet line with that modem(Sagem
> USB)?

First you must make sure that your "modem" is supported at all. A search
at <http://groups.google.com> for the model name and "linux driver" or
"linux module" should help. Sort the results by date.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976