Re: Installing problems

Javier García <jgarcia1709@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I've recently installed a Debian Linux(3.0 r1) distribution
> in my PC (AMD Athlon 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM) and I've found some
> problems, I'd thank you very much if you could answer to my
> problems, here they are: I've managed to install succesfully the
> system base (kernel ... and it works properly(in console) so far),
> but I haven't been able to configure the X and the mouse (which is
> USB device)
>
> 1º - Enclosed are some files you may need to know where the problems
> are: (i've got a 15inch TFT SAMSUNG V[56-75],H[30-60] and a Riva TNT
> graphics card)

You can get the information you need about the monitor from
http://www.monitorworld.com/

Drivers for your graphics card will be available in nvidia-kernel-src
and nvidia-glx-src packages for 2.4 kernels, and http://www.minion.de/
for 2.6 series kernels.  Though, ultimately, nVidia's drivers are more
trouble than they're worth no matter what kernel or OS and I would
recommend anything but nVidia for your next card.

> 2º - The Logitech mouse (USB): Is that a problem of the kernel, does
> it support USB devices like my USB modem DSL, as well?

You will need USB support in your kernel (or, better yet, as a
module).  As far as your USB DSL bridge, consider exchanging it for an
ethernet based DSL bridge instead, they're a bit more robust and just
plain easier to deal with than USB networking devices.

> 3º - How could i install my DSL internet line with that modem(Sagem
> USB)?

You are likely out of luck unless you can find it on Google as working
with Linux.  Junk it in favor of an ethernet based DSL bridge.  On
cable or DSL, USB-based bridges blow goats for bus money then walk
home.

: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com