Logitech MX500 button behaviour

Hi,

One more chapter of "my hardware is acting up" (look up my other
posts...):

I've just bought a Logitech MX500 mouse with a whole busload of buttons
(8 to be exact) which act in the following way, according to a little
program I hacked to read raw data from the USB event device:

Two thumb buttons, left and right buttons, the mousewheel buttons (up,
down and press) and a little button on top which all act as normal
buttons (one event on press, one on release) and two additional buttons
in front of and behind the wheel which while pressed send repeat events
of wheel movement.

Now for the strange part: X (4.3 from unstable) interprets the "back"
"autofire" button properly, but the "forward" button is interpreted as
simultaneous press/release of buttons 4 *and* 6. The top button is
interpreted as button 1.

The device section from XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
        Option          "Buttons"               "8"
EndSection

I'm using the ExplorerPS/2 protocol because ImPS/2 seems to have
problems with buttons beyond 5 and the setup works fine for a 6 button
model with Buttons=6.

Any ideas?

--
Got Backup?