Re: Mail server load

I think so, but first i want to look for solutions like changing to
maildir, did someone try it (mailbox vs. maildir)?, how can i measure
IOWAIT, because top command show always 0%.

Thanks,

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 04:47, Toens Bueker wrote:
> Mariano Wahlmann <wahlmann@agro.uba.ar> wrote
>
> > Hy, i'm Administrator of an University, and my mail (pop/imap) server
> > has 5-6 average LA, the machine is an Dual Pentium Xeon of 2.4Ghz, with
> > 1Gb of RAM, and one UW-SCSI 320 of 36Gb. My domain has 4000 email
> > accounts, and 5 list of 3000 local users (that send one or two email by
> > day). The problem is that users gets TIMEOUT everytime that try to
> > download emails, etc etc..
>
> E-Mail (and especially with MTAs like postfix and qmail) is IO-bound. You need
> more disks to spread the load on more spindles.
>
> by
> Töns
Mariano Agustín Wahlmann
Administrador de Red
Facultad de Agronomía - Buenos Aires - Argentina
Te.: (+54 11) 4524-8000 int.8108
email: wahlmann@agro.uba.ar
www: http://www.agro.uba.ar