Re: Install stalling with sarge.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:43:20PM -0800, Ruben Lopez wrote:
> CW Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com> wrote:

> > <snip>
> > >
> > > From what CW says it might be the fact that you are partitioning. Did
> > > you check the install-report package for bugs? I don't don't partition,
> > > I only use what there is and format. But I also have a 40GB maxtor and
> > > so that ain't it.
> > >
> > > So do you have to partition? Is it a new disk? If so partition on an
> > > existing linux, or better yet, run Knoppic and do the partitioning with
> > > it, just use cfdisk.
> >
> > Actually, in my case it seemed to be the disk access all around. (Like the
> > ide driver was not working) so it would affect more than just the
> > partitioning, I think.  But again--I haven't checked this thoroughly
> > enough to be certain of the exact problem.
> >

> Yes, this is what I am also experiencing with sarge. I've been trying this
> for a few days now and cannot get the installer to access the drive. I'm
> about ready to dump sarge and try sid.
>
> Ruben

Okay. I had a little more time to check this out. My problem is
specifically with the SIS5513 chipset driver in the kernel.  My
old/cheap motherboard does not like it. (Same problem with a Knoppix
CD). If I use "expert" mode of the Beta3 installer and disable loading
of the SIS5513 chipset it seems to work okay.

Anyway. It appears to have nothing to do with the installer program.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.