Re: ALSA Questions

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:47:13 -0500
"Thomas H. George" <xyz@spininternet.com> wrote:

>     Question: Is alsadriver now built in?  alsa-utils recommended
> alsadriver but apt-get install alsadriver lists modules for 2.4.16.

"alsadriver" just means "the ALSA kernel modules."  If you're running
a 2.6 kernel, they came with.

>     Question:  What package contains alsamixer?  Is there any reason to
> switch since setmixer works fine?

Go to http://packages.debian.org/

Go down the page to where it says "Search the contents of packages"

Put "alsamixer" in the keyword field.

Select stable, testing, or unstable, depending on what you're
running.

Hit search.

>  Is there any reason to
> switch since setmixer works fine?

I've never used setmixer.  But I'd be surprised if it has all the
functionality of alsamixer (and can get at all the emu10k1 capabilities
that alsamixer can), especially since it doesn't seem to depend on the
asound libraries at all, wjo;e OSS emulation doesn't give you the
full functionality of the card.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)