Re: how to... (newbie questions)

Jeremy C B Nicoll wrote:

I've a HP B132L which someone else put woody on for me, but I'm nearly
totally ignorant of how things work in linux.  Can anyone tell me how
to:

a) find out precisely which version of woody it is (if there are
  different versions or patch levels or whatever)?  I don't know
  how to relate "woody" to posts I see naming particular kernel
  levels etc.
To see your kernel version type uname -r. Each of the three Debian distributions may use one of several kernel versions.

b) when it boots it automatically starts X and then KDM; I think I'd like none of the GUI stuff to start automatically but instead to
  start them by command if/when I want to.  How do I do that?
You need the update-rc.d program, which handles addition and removal of the relevant symlinks. man update-rc.d.

c) If I manage to have KDM not start, will the command: gdm
  start GDM up instead, assuming it is installed?
See above.

d) how do I find out what software is installed? Eg *is* GDM/Gnome in my system, and if so, where are its libraries, if I want to explore its parameter files etc?

dpkg -l will show a list of installed packages. Configuration files live in /etc.

I think you should read the documentation on www.debian.org - as a newbie a lot of your questions will be answered there. And a good book on Linux - I used to recommend Running Linux but it has a bit of a RedHat bias.