how to... (newbie questions)

I've a HP B132L which someone else put woody on for me, but I'm nearly
totally ignorant of how things work in linux.  Can anyone tell me how
to:

a) find out precisely which version of woody it is (if there are
   different versions or patch levels or whatever)?  I don't know
   how to relate "woody" to posts I see naming particular kernel
   levels etc.

b) when it boots it automatically starts X and then KDM; I think I'd
   like none of the GUI stuff to start automatically but instead to
   start them by command if/when I want to.  How do I do that?

c) If I manage to have KDM not start, will the command: gdm
   start GDM up instead, assuming it is installed?

d) how do I find out what software is installed?  Eg *is* GDM/Gnome
   in my system, and if so, where are its libraries, if I want to
   explore its parameter files etc?