ALSA Questions

First, It works fine.

Second, it wasn't easy to set up. I followed the instructions in kernel-source-2.6.3/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt but wavp sample.wav resulted in a message that initialization of DSP failed. Eventually I ran apt-cache search alsa and from the long list selected and installed alsa-utils. This asked me to select a sound card. I had built the kernel with emu10k1 as a module and after I had selected this from the utils options and rebooted sound worked.
      Question:  Is there a more complete discussion of ALSA setup?

Question: Is alsadriver now built in? alsa-utils recommended alsadriver but apt-get install alsadriver lists modules for 2.4.16.

Finally, with kernel-2.4.22 I was using setmixer, workbone and wavp so I worked at getting these working with kernel-2.6.3. There are references to alsamixer but the apt-cache search turned up only alsamixergui which apt-cache show alsamixergui explains that this is just an overlay to alsamixer.

Question: What package contains alsamixer? Is there any reason to switch since setmixer works fine?

Just curious

Tom