Re: Need help finding NIC driver

On 2004-03-29, users@linuxforums.org <users@linuxforums.org> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in response.
>
> Yes, I tried that, as well as insmod tulip (no idea, figured it was
> worth trying).
>
> System detects "eth0", which I fear is my disabled (in BIOS) onboard
> ethernet and not my NIC card, which I ironically added when SuSE was
> not able to use my onboard ethernet.  Before you get excited, it has
> since stopped functioning altogether.  I get an error message when I
> try the PPPoE configuration utility, which says it cannot access the
> Access Compressor or something along those lines.  I tried with
> firewall up and down.
>
> Does anyone know of a link where I can find a driver?  This is not a
> rare NIC card, it's not brand new nor too old.

http://www.kernel.org has drivers for (almost?) all common NIC cards,
that is, Linux itself knows how to handle them and you don't need to
download a 'driver' from a different web-page.

> I guess I could go
> buy another one, but would prefer not to.
>
> Would a UNIX driver work for it?  They do have a UNIX driver on the
> 3COM website.

If it's a 3com card, why not try to insmod the various 3com modules?
If you've got debian kernel & modules installed, you can figure out
the available modules using:

find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name '*3c*

and insmod the appropriate one.

Groetjes,
joostje