RE: Goodby stable

Linux consists of the kernel and the distro. Define "stable". I started with a
Knoppix hd-install which is (an oft-condemned) mix of stable, testing and
sid. It worked. A few problems configuring the ADSL (they do it differently
in Israel) and alsa but explicitely supported hardware worked.

I have since went to 2.6 kernels, updated from SID. USB is no longer well
behaved because of uhci-hcd, a problematic kernel module--nothing to do with
SID. Hotplug is fast-becoming a replacement "discovery". Probably cool for
new installations but an annoyance for older ones since one must "blacklist"
more and more if simply to get some of those "already loaded" messages
(harmless) out of the way. Someday, the new "udev" will have an initial
installation which makes it more immediately useful. None of this makes
anything "unstable". W***ows it not stable at all. Sid is much better.

I eagerly await the uhci-hcd fix up but the one USB MIDI device is not
critical and I can live with the problem if I need to use it. Someday, all
this ATI DRI stuff will be sorted out but this is mostly for games. I have
very few compaints about SID!