Re: OT linux/debian book (?) for beginners

On (27/03/04 07:06), Tom Allison wrote:
> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> >I have a friend, who I've installed debian for, who is waffling between
> >whining about windos XP, and it's mysterious hard disk activity and
> >crashes, and his whining about no linux docs/books.
> >
> >Where can I find/buy/print/generally get ahold of some kind of
> >documentation for my friend to read, and understand. A complete linux
> >newbie.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> I've never had much luck with finding debian books.
> However, the amount of online documentation for Debian meets
> expectations.  If books are required you might argue he print them out
> and have a local copy center bind them for him.
>
> But the amount of documentation available for Debian has always been a
> big plus for me.
>
> Quite frankly I have also found the debian-user list to be populated
> with a much higher IQ then the other lists.  I have been using SuSE and
> Debian together for a while here and was apalled at the ignorant
> cattle-mooing that came from the SuSE user list and the complete lack of
> any support.  The only way to fix some of the problems I ran into where
> either reinstall and pray (sounds like Windows) or pay (sounds like
> Microsoft).
>
> I'm in the process of slowing putting Debian at the top of the food
> chain, where it belongs.  It's not the easiest distro to work with for a
> newbie, but after that first 3-6 months of exposure, it becomes the
> best.  Assuming I can get the multimedia stuff working correctly, which
> has always been tough.
Having been using Debian/Linux for something over a year from scratch I
recently got hold of Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition by Paul Sheer.
I just wish I'd had it a year ago.  It is not exactly a Linux for
Dummies type book but gives a comprehensive guide to Linux from the
foundations up.  Other books I found useful are:
Linux Desk Reference by Scott Hawkins (saves you diving into manpages
every few minutes to workout what syntax to use in commands)
Linux Administratos Handbook by Evi Nemeth and others.

HTH

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk