Re: OT linux/debian book (?) for beginners

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
I have a friend, who I've installed debian for, who is waffling between
whining about windos XP, and it's mysterious hard disk activity and
crashes, and his whining about no linux docs/books.

Where can I find/buy/print/generally get ahold of some kind of
documentation for my friend to read, and understand. A complete linux
newbie.

Thanks

I've never had much luck with finding debian books.
However, the amount of online documentation for Debian meets expectations. If books are required you might argue he print them out and have a local copy center bind them for him.

But the amount of documentation available for Debian has always been a big plus for me.

Quite frankly I have also found the debian-user list to be populated with a much higher IQ then the other lists. I have been using SuSE and Debian together for a while here and was apalled at the ignorant cattle-mooing that came from the SuSE user list and the complete lack of any support. The only way to fix some of the problems I ran into where either reinstall and pray (sounds like Windows) or pay (sounds like Microsoft).

I'm in the process of slowing putting Debian at the top of the food chain, where it belongs. It's not the easiest distro to work with for a newbie, but after that first 3-6 months of exposure, it becomes the best. Assuming I can get the multimedia stuff working correctly, which has always been tough.