standalone home desktop user virus

I use Debian 3 testing as a standalone home user machine, with
only dialup connection.

Since I get a lot of email from Microsoft users, I just avoid
anything suspicious looking so I don't pass it on to someone.

I know how to use F-Prot and Clamav as command-line scanners,
but is there any way to make them on-demand or on-all-the-time?

Looked at amavis but wasn't sure it was the right thing. Where
can I find simple directions for a lowly standalone home user?

Wanda