Re: Goodbye stable?

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
Am Sonntag, 28. März 2004 19:07 schrieb Colin Watson:

[...]

I fear that sarge is too unstable for my daily work, and I've heard really
bad things about debian-installer.

You should test it for yourself and send reports, please, rather than
going on really bad things you hear.

I refused to try debian-installer because I don't wanted to spend to much time with coping with bugs and writing bug reports. "Debian – because it *must* work." ;-) No, I'm not of those persons who don't like to write bug reports at all; it's just that my work has priority over bug reporting.

But maybe I will give sarge a try soon and see.

If you aren't willing to help then don't sound like a victim...  :)

I really recommend you consider two machines:
One for the "really must work" stuff.
Another for a testing platform of the things you need/want to upgrade (>stable) to your "really must work" box. This limits your risk of busting stuff if you move off of -stable in any way. It also allows you to do bug reports on one side, and still have a working system on the other side.

You would be surprised how effective bug reports are.

I find on many of the packages people really do try to get things working, and the do a heck of a good job considering they only have one or two computers to work with themselves. It is only by the feedback on various combinations of hardware software that they learn more.

When you file a (good) bug report you are helping yourself get better software, you are helping the maintainer learn more, and you are helping Debian on the whole.