Re: Where'd my ALSA sound go?

On Friday 26 March 2004 21:12, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> % sudo alsactl restore
> Password:
> alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...

I had a similar problem, but with my onboard via82xx. But maybe that
doesn't matter:

After a long period of working ALSA, suddenly (after some updates?) ALSA
stopped working.

The problem was, that hotplug load the OSS-driver for my 'soundcard', so
alsa couldn't access the hardware. Same error message on my system.
(Note: the alsa drivers were loaded without errors, but they doesn't
work)

Solution: Hotplug loads the OSS-driver 'via82cxxx-audio'. To prevent
hotplug from doing that (in the pci subsystem), i just add
'via82cxxx-audio' to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

Sure, if this is your problem too, it must be another driver on your
system...

Henning