Where'd my ALSA sound go?

I recently rebooted after a few weeks of uptime, and ALSA no longer works on
my machine (sid with a Debian 2.6.3-686 kernel).  Specifically, even though
all of the sound modules appear to be loaded, I get errors like:

% sudo alsactl restore
Password:
alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 PC with an Intel 8x0 chipset, using the
snd_intel8x0 ALSA driver.  I have no idea what's changed.  Sound worked this
morning, then I rebooted, and now I have an unintentionally silent
computer.  Any ideas?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.