Solved! (was Re: Where'd my ALSA sound go?)

At 2004-03-27T10:02:35Z, Henning Moll <newsScott@gmx.de> writes:

> The problem was, that hotplug load the OSS-driver for my 'soundcard', so
> alsa couldn't access the hardware. Same error message on my system.
> (Note: the alsa drivers were loaded without errors, but they doesn't work)
>
> Solution: Hotplug loads the OSS-driver 'via82cxxx-audio'. To prevent
> hotplug from doing that (in the pci subsystem), i just add
> 'via82cxxx-audio' to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

Henning,

That turned out to be exactly the problem, and the solution worked like a
charm.

This also worked at home on my (non-Dell :) ) machine with a SB Live! card;
the 'emu10k1' module was being loaded before the ALSA version.

Thanks for the help!
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.