Re: how to do/repair a raid1 missing disk install (was: Re: lilo + raid = disaster (again))

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:05:06PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> > Fatal: map file must be on the boot RAID partition
> Well, /boot (or wherever your map file AND kernel happens to live) must be
> in /dev/md0 for boot=/dev/md0 to work :)
>
> Other than that, make sure you are using a new enough LILO. The one in
> Debian testing should be OK.  The one in stable probably isn't, although
> if that's the case, I wonder why it didn't bork on raid-extra-boot=mbr-only...
>
> > Is this because the array hasn't finished syncing, or is something
> > sinister going on?
>
> Something sinister is going on.  You should get something like this:
>
> Warning: /dev/sdb is not on the first disk
> The Master boot record of  /dev/sdb  has been updated.
> The Master boot record of  /dev/sda  has been updated.

Installing lilo (and debconf) from backports.org sorted it.  As much as
I love Debian, a new stable release can't come soon enough.  I install
enough servers, and there are always issues like this.  Well, mainly
this and requiring later install kernels.

What I need to do is make a custom Woody CD with 2.4.25, lilo, debconf,
exim, clam from backports.org.  I've never had any luck doing this so
far but I'll have to give it another go.

Thanks again for an awesome post.