Re: how to do/repair a raid1 missing disk install (was: Re: lilo + raid = disaster (again))

Awesome post Henrique.  This is worth structuring into a howto.  This is
the third time I've tried this, and the third time I've hosed the boot
sector, and I'm tired of it.  If you don't have time to make it into a
howto, let me know and I'll do it.

At this point, I have managed to recover to the point where I'm booting
off /dev/hda, and mounted /dev/md0 as /.  I've changed the partition
type of /dev/hda1 to fd, and added it.  My raid array is now syncing
nicely.

I've now amended lilo.conf so that boot and root are both /dev/md0, and
I have raid-extra-boot=mbr-only.

However, lilo -tv reports:
Warning: using BIOS device code 0x80 for RAID boot blocks
Warning: /dev/hdc is not on the first disk
Fatal: map file must be on the boot RAID partition

Is this because the array hasn't finished syncing, or is something
sinister going on?

I do have a system where I don't have the raid-extra-boot line in there,
and it works great.  Why could this be?  Am I living on the edge with
that box?