Re: how to do/repair a raid1 missing disk install (was: Re: lilo + raid = disaster (again))

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> sector, and I'm tired of it.  If you don't have time to make it into a
> howto, let me know and I'll do it.

Please do it :-)  I lack the time to write (and maintain) such a howto.

> At this point, I have managed to recover to the point where I'm booting
> off /dev/hda, and mounted /dev/md0 as /.  I've changed the partition
> type of /dev/hda1 to fd, and added it.  My raid array is now syncing
> nicely.

So, I believe all partitions that make part of the RAID array are now
of type 0xFD, correct?

> However, lilo -tv reports:
> Warning: using BIOS device code 0x80 for RAID boot blocks
Ignore.  This is what you want for any new BIOS, and for all SCSI BIOSes.

> Warning: /dev/hdc is not on the first disk
This is usual lilo braindamage. Ignore it. /dev/hdc will become the
first disk if /dev/hda goes kaput (and your BIOS isn't crap from 5 years
ago).

> Fatal: map file must be on the boot RAID partition
Well, /boot (or wherever your map file AND kernel happens to live) must be
in /dev/md0 for boot=/dev/md0 to work :)

Other than that, make sure you are using a new enough LILO. The one in
Debian testing should be OK.  The one in stable probably isn't, although
if that's the case, I wonder why it didn't bork on raid-extra-boot=mbr-only...

> Is this because the array hasn't finished syncing, or is something
> sinister going on?

Something sinister is going on.  You should get something like this:

Warning: /dev/sdb is not on the first disk
The Master boot record of  /dev/sdb  has been updated.
The Master boot record of  /dev/sda  has been updated.

(I use SATA with libata, and thus my disks show up as SCSI disks).

> I do have a system where I don't have the raid-extra-boot line in there,
> and it works great.  Why could this be?  Am I living on the edge with
> that box?

You only have a LILO loader in the first disk of that system, so yes,
you are living on the edge :-)

  Henrique Holschuh