Re: locale errors

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:17:52PM GMT, Al Davis
<ad35@freeelectron.net> incoherently babbled:

> If someone can explain why this happens, that would be nice.  I am
> guessing that it has something to do with locale being updated, but
> some applications or dynamic libraries or something like that are
> already running with the old one, so it gets a mix and complains.

The enviromental variable $LC_CTYPE is one of the shell variables that
people like myself set ourselves if we want to use Unicode or another
system locale. Run locale -a for a list of locales available on your
system.

Unfortunately, Perl has issues with Unicode, and so throws up errors as
the one initially mentioned. Since debconf is written in Perl, this
error occurs.

There are 3 options to stop the error occurring:

o Unset all the locale variables so your account used the system
default. See the locale man page for the list of envirmental variables.

o Recompile your kernel with UTF8 as the standard locale.

o Use zsh and set $PERL_BADLANG to "0" by adding this line to
$HOME/.zshenv: "export PERL_BADLANG=0"

--

Conall O'Brien

+353 (0)87 9194139 | http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

Programming (n.):
    1. The art of debugging an empty file.
    2. A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with
		  fewer opportunities for reward.
    3. The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes
		  are not mandatory).

										      Eric S. Raymond - The Jargon File