Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

Hello

Monique Y. Herman (<spam@bounceswoosh.org>) wrote:

> I just saw this in Debian Weekly News issue ten:
>
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/
> msg00067.html>
>
> I guess I just wonder.
>
> I've never found any sort of hostility or difficulty in dealing with
> any technically-oriented online forum; if anything, I've found that
> some people seem to go out of their way to respond to women.
>
> Okay, I lie.  I've had hostility from a couple of individuals, but
> I've *never* attributed it to my female-ness, and in most cases there
> was evidence to suggest that they were equal-opportunity flamethrowers
> =)
>
> Any women out there?  Have you found debian and/or other OSS or
> technical groups to be difficult, possibly because you're female?
>
> Any guys have opinions?

So far I have not seen any hostility towards women because they were
female (at least on the mailing lists and in the usenet groups I read).
I have however seen that in some cases people (newbies) who use women's
names (mostly you don't know if the name is faked or not) receive
polite answers from the mostly male participants where a male newbie
would only have received a "Search the fscking archive/web". In some
places (like the SelfHTML forum, http://selfforum.teamone.de) this
beahviour has even repeatedly been subject to very long and sometimes
heated discussions.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674