Re: [OT] Microsoft's teeny punishment by the EU

Schnobs writes:
> Forcing MS to simply make it public would effectively nationalize some of
> MS' assets

Interface specifications are not protected by patent or copyright, and
publication is not nationalization.  They could retain their copyrights on
the specification documents.

> I doubt that such a step would be legally possible in the EU.

If the Commission can take $600 million away from them they could take away
a few trade secrets.

> So what remains? Licensing. If the licenses are too expensive, or in any
> other way not acceptable...

Any form of licensing will make the material inaccessible to Free Software.
--
John Hasler               You may treat this work as if it
john@dhh.gt.org           were in the public domain.