Re: networking problem encountered while installing "Woody"

Le lun 22/03/2004 à 09:22, Renhao Zhang a écrit :
> Aurlien,
> Thank you for your prompt and insightful reply.  I'll
> get a move on learning to compiling my own kernel.

Wait a minute... !

> # The first network card - this entry was created
> during the Debian installation
> # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> -------
>
> I know the following from the system console indicates
> that I have the DHCP client running in some form.  I
> just don't know the meaning or cause of the behavior:

> -------
> Mar 21 21:59:22 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
> eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5

You have a problem with dhcp here. Are you sure you want it ? It seems
like the dhcp client doesn't find a dhcp server...
I mean, why not pick up some private ip adress (like 192.168.0.2) and
rewrite your eth0 entry in /etc/network/interfaces as :

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255

Hasn't your windows box a fixed IP already ? If so, just take the same
IP...

This may be simpler than trying to fix dhcp (also I don't have any
experience with it so I can't help on that)...

Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One and a
half.