RE: VMware installation problem

On Monday, March 22, 2004 8:52 AM,  Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:
>Dne po 22. března 2004 12:42 Cameron Hutchison napsal(a):
>> Once upon a time Miroslav Maiksnar said...
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> when installing vmware eval on my debian sarge I encounter problem
>>> compiling modules. Install scripts refuses to compile modules
>>> because `uname -r` ('2.6.3-alfons32-2') differs from UTS_RELEASE
>>> ('2.6.3'). Kernel is of course compiled using `make-kpkg
>>> --append-to-version=...` and I need to run different kernels with
>>> equal version, so leaving off --append-to-version is not option for
>>> me.
>>
>> I have also had problems building the vmware modules. What ended up
>> working for me is to run vmware-config.pl, let it fail. At this point
>> $KSRC/include/linux/version.h has been regenerated without the
>> --append-to-version string. So I manually edit this file to put back
>> on the --append-to-version string and then run vmware-config.pl again.
>> This time, the build seems to work.
>
>Thanks for hint, I have tried this and it seems vmware doesn't support 2.6
>kernels. Unfortunatelly I need 2.6 on both of my computers, so I have to
wait
>for some future version... ;o(

I am using VMWare on my 2.6 kernel.  In order to get this to work, I had to
install the modules with a script that another guy wrote...
You can find the script here: http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/
You want to grab the file, vmware-any-any-update54.tar.gz

Check out the included README, you will want to run this script as root.
Worked great for me!

Michael