Re: networking problem encountered while installing "Woody"

--- Aurélien_Campéas <aurelien.aa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> You have a problem with dhcp here. Are you sure you want it ? It
> seems
> like the dhcp client doesn't find a dhcp server...
> I mean, why not pick up some private ip adress (like 192.168.0.2) and
> rewrite your eth0 entry in /etc/network/interfaces as :
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.2
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.0.0
>         broadcast 192.168.0.255

I've already tried to do this, hoping the DHCP serving modem might
accept it.  it didn't work.  When I referenced the bullitin board I
found with another case of the same situation, your suggestion of
recompiling the kernel with networking built in was also mentioned.
Since it was the only thing I have yet to try, I figured it was worth a
shot.

> Hasn't your windows box a fixed IP already ? If so, just take the
> same
> IP...

no...the windows is a DHCP client as well...

> This may be simpler than trying to fix dhcp (also I don't have any
> experience with it so I can't help on that)...

Regardless, I appreciate your insights.  Feel free to suggest anything
that I might look into.

> Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One
> and a
> half.

Q: Are they running Woody, Sarge, or Sid?