Re: networking problem encountered while installing "Woody"

Aurélien,
Thank you for your prompt and insightful reply.  I'll
get a move on learning to compiling my own kernel.
Hopefully, that'll get the networking functioning. In
the mean time, I'd still like to learn exactly how my
setup isn't working and what I am fixing.  The
following is the info you asked for:

ifconfig
--------
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
00:A0:CC:D7:51:A4
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500
Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0
          TX packets:65 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:22230 (21.7
KiB)
          Interrupt:12 Base address:0x6c00

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0
          TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1056 (1.0 KiB)  TX bytes:1056 (1.0
KiB)
-------

lspci -v
--------
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430TX - 82439TX MTXC
(rev 01)
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev
01)
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 IDE
(rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
	I/O ports at f000

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB
(rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
	I/O ports at 6400

00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev
01)
	Flags: medium devsel

00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive,
Inc. Voodoo Banshee (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Monster Fusion
	Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 10
	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
	Memory at e2000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
	I/O ports at 6800

00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications
Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
	Subsystem: Netgear FA310TX
	I/O ports at 6c00
	Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
-------

Additionally, here is the content of my
/etc/network/interfaces:

-------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for
ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created
during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
-------

I know the following from the system console indicates
that I have the DHCP client running in some form.  I
just don't know the meaning or cause of the behavior:
-------
Mar 21 21:59:22 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
Mar 21 21:59:27 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
Mar 21 21:59:33 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
Mar 21 21:59:46 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
Mar 21 22:00:00 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
Mar 21 22:00:21 debian dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER on
eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 2
Mar 21 22:00:23 debian dhclient-2.2.x: No DHCPOFFERS
received.
Mar 21 22:00:23 debian dhclient-2.2.x: No working
leases in persistent database.
Mar 21 22:00:24 debian dhclient-2.2.x: Sleeping.
-------

Whatever is the matter, Eth0 seems to at least be
healthy.  Is there something else I'm not seeing?  Any
insights are apreciated.

Thanks again.
-Ren

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=110910