Re: Another question regarding tulip driver with 2.4 kernel

Brian Walker wrote:

Kent West wrote:

[initrd.img] should be in /boot. It should have been installed automatically.

Indeed it is - many thank for the reference. But ls -l shows that there is no symlink to the initrd.img. Should there be one? This is where the apt-get called a problem, and seemed to be doing just that.

Yes.

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> ls -l /initrd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2004-03-11 22:28 /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.3-1-k7 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2003-12-08 22:19 /initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.22-1-k7

should you have needed to run lilo; that should have been part of the "apt-get install..." process also. It sounds like the apt-get process wasn't completed properly.

Ah ... when I saw the reference to the need to edit /etc/llo.conf, I opened another xterm, edited the file accordingly, and returned to apt-get. The question had been to stop apt-get, and I had bypased that to edit the file in question, thinking this would ease the process. Do you think that was the problem??

If you edited the file, then came back and told apt-get to NOT stop, then everything should have been okay. If however, you told it to abort, then went and edited the file, or edited the file and then told it to abort, then yes, that's the problem.

Reboot resulted in kernel panic. So here I am with the old kernel and a functioning LILO

What have I missed ... well, OK I am missing an initrd.img .... what should I do to fix that?

If the apt-get process worked properly, it should have set up your old kernel as "LinuxOLD" on your lilo menu. If you don't get a menu at boot time, try pressing the Left Shift key (I think that's the correct keystroke) to bring up the menu.

No problem - indeed I do have LinuxOLD, and this is just fine.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to boot off a rescue floppy, or a Debian install CD, or a Knoppix CD, etc, and repair the damage. It's fairly easy, but too complex to explain without knowing what tools you have at hand.

I think I need to create a symlink to initrd.img, but I am not sure if that is correct.

Yes, you do.

ln -s /boot/initrd.img /initrd.img

--
Kent