Re: Another question regarding tulip driver with 2.4 kernel

Robert Packer wrote:

I am a complete newbie to this and don't have a clue how to compile a
kernel(I'm reading up, but still...), so is it possible to make the
2.4 kernel work with a nic card that needs a tulip driver? It works
fine with the 2.2.20 kernel but if possible I'd like to use the latest
kernel. Or is it the wiser thing to use the old kernel and then later
try to upgrade to the new kernel?

If someone could explain in big dummy terms how to do this it would
be
great. :P

Robert

Compiling a kernel is a great thing to do if you want the education, or if you have some esoteric need to do so, but for 90%+ of the population out there, the standard Debian kernels will do just fine.

That should be the case here; support for the tulip driver is built-into the standard 2.4 kernels.

So, just "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.24-686" (or whatever kernel version you want -- "apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4" will show you a list of available versions). After the reboot into the new kernel, you may find that the tulip driver has already loaded automagically; if not, just run "modconf" and select the "tulip" driver.

--
Kent