OK, I'm a coward...help me feel more at ease?

Tired of the 2.4.3 kernel that came with Libranet Debian 1.9.1, I am
trying to install the 2.6.4-1-k7 kernel image.  It's all downloaded but
synaptic tells me I need to put initrd=initrd.img into my lilo.conf.
That I have done, and also run <lilo>  but still avoid rebooting, one,
because I have my best uptime going right now(cybe@WizardsTower:~$
uptime 10:51:44 up 64 days, 10:31, 6 users, load average: 0.15, 0.28,
0.22), and, two, because I'm an inherent coward and don't know enough
about this to feel secure. Is there anything else I need to do before
rebooting so I will have a workable system afterward? I've busted things
several times in the past and not known enough to get back up and
running.  I have had to re-install my original Libranet Debian OS and
would like to avoid that, if possible.
Should I just reboot?  Is there anything else to do/know before I take
the plunge?

Thanks for any help/solace you may6 be able to give.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.