Re: OK, I'm a coward...help me feel more at ease?

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

Tired of the 2.4.3 kernel that came with Libranet Debian 1.9.1, I am
trying to install the 2.6.4-1-k7 kernel image.  It's all downloaded but
synaptic tells me I need to put initrd=initrd.img into my lilo.conf.

As someone else pointed out, this should be "initrd=/initrd.img", not "initrd=initrd.img".

That I have done, and also run <lilo>  but still avoid rebooting, one,
<snip>

Should I just reboot?  Is there anything else to do/know before I take
the plunge?
As someone else pointed out, your lilo.conf should have a stanza for your old kernel, which means when you reboot, if your new kernel doesn't work, you should be able to fall back to your old kernel.

Even if not, you can boot off a boot floppy, or a Knoppix (Mepix, etc) CD, or the Debian installation CD, and repair any problems.

In short, if anything goes wrong (short of hardware failure or corruption not related to the new kernel), you can recover without having to reinstall Debian.

I'd say reboot.

--
Kent