Re: OK, I'm a coward...help me feel more at ease?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:57:53 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote
> Tired of the 2.4.3 kernel that came with Libranet Debian 1.9.1, I am
> trying to install the 2.6.4-1-k7 kernel image.  It's all downloaded but
> synaptic tells me I need to put initrd=initrd.img into my lilo.conf.
> That I have done, and also run <lilo>  but still avoid rebooting,
>  one, because I have my best uptime going right now(cybe@WizardsTower:~$
> uptime 10:51:44 up 64 days, 10:31, 6 users, load average: 0.15, 0.28,
> 0.22), and, two, because I'm an inherent coward and don't know enough
> about this to feel secure. Is there anything else I need to do before
> rebooting so I will have a workable system afterward? I've busted things
> several times in the past and not known enough to get back up and
> running.  I have had to re-install my original Libranet Debian OS and
> would like to avoid that, if possible.
> Should I just reboot?  Is there anything else to do/know before I
> take the plunge?

If you installed your new kernel from the kernel image, then
it should have configured lilo for you so that your old kernel
will still boot. If for some reason, your 2.6.4 kernel bombs out,
just hard reboot your machine, and select Linuxold at the lilo prompt.

Mike