Re: OK, I'm a coward...help me feel more at ease?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:57:53 -0600
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Tired of the 2.4.3 kernel that came with Libranet Debian 1.9.1, I am
> trying to install the 2.6.4-1-k7 kernel image.  It's all downloaded
> but synaptic tells me I need to put initrd=initrd.img into my
> lilo.conf. [...]
> Is there anything else I need to do before rebooting so I will have a
> workable system afterward?

You need at least the module-init-tools (a replacement for modutils).
For a complete set of required programs, see the kernel documentation,
especially the "Changes" file. Also, a few modules might have changes
names, so look for messages about that.

Unless you're running some exotic hardware that is not enabled in the
default kernel images (like some RAID controllers), you should at least
be able to get to a console and sort the remaining issues out from
there.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de