dhcp

Before upgrading my kernel, my dhcp worked..as it should during the installation... However, after upgrading the kernel (currently using 2.4.24).. my pcmcia nic was recognized during boot (NE2000 compatible) but it did not pick up an IP address. The network adapter works because I can manually do an ifconfig eth0 192.168.254.10 and it will assign that IP. I also have to manually assign the gateway. I tried upgrading the dhcp-client by doing an apt-get but it said I had the latest version. Any ideas?