Re: burning CDs, or, Ah, now ESR's rant makes sense . . .

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:54:55PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| | >On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:23:27PM -0600, Kent West wrote: | >| Now Eric S. Raymond's rant about the (un)usability issues in Linux | >| (http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/luxury-part-deux.html) makes sense . | >| . . . | >| | >| I'm trying to get my CD burner to work. | >| | >| First I tried working with ide-scsi emulation, but after some | >| corrections in a previous thread, I've given up on that. | >| | >| However, I can't figure out xcdroast or cdrecord without spending hours | >| studying and/or burning a coaster or two in experimentation, and | >| eroaster refuses to recognize my CD-RW.
| >
| >I use cdrecord.  Here's an example, hopefully it will help clear it up
| >for you :
| >
| >   [first see what devices are available]
| ># cdrecord -scanbus

Umm, wait, is that what I sent in the email?  Shoot - I didn't
copy-n-paste correctly.

| >   [now burn the image]
| ># cdrecord -dao dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 foo.iso

| westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> sudo cdrecord -scanbus

Add dev=ATAPI in there :
   # cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus

| cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
I ignored this message.  I don't know what "pg" devices are so I guess
I don't have any (not to mention, udev would mostly likely have
created the node if I had such a device).
This should fix my earlier mistake.  The dev= parameter tells cdrecord
to look at the ATAPI bus instead of the SCSI bus because we don't have
any SCSI controllers or disks.  There are one or two other buses as
well, mentioned in the manpage or somewhere, but I don't remember what
they are.

-D

Making progress . . .

westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> sudo cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
Password:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a26 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>. The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
Warning: There may be fatal problems.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX216E  ' 'PD01' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

So my command to burn the ISO should be:

 cdrecord -dao dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 foo.iso

right?

--
Kent