Re: burning CDs, or, Ah, now ESR's rant makes sense . . .

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:23:27PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
| Now Eric S. Raymond's rant about the (un)usability issues in Linux
| (http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/luxury-part-deux.html) makes sense .
| . . .
|
| I'm trying to get my CD burner to work.
|
| First I tried working with ide-scsi emulation, but after some
| corrections in a previous thread, I've given up on that.
|
| However, I can't figure out xcdroast or cdrecord without spending hours
| studying and/or burning a coaster or two in experimentation, and
| eroaster refuses to recognize my CD-RW.

I use cdrecord.  Here's an example, hopefully it will help clear it up
for you :

    [first see what devices are available]
# cdrecord -scanbus
    [copyright verbiage snipped]
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
Warning: There may be fatal problems.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) 'TEAC    ' 'CD-540E         ' '1.0A' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) *
        1,1,0   101) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-RW 48X24     ' 'C.EZ' Removable CD-ROM
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

As you can see, I have two cd drives - a cd-rom and a cd-rw - and they
are both the slave device but on different ide channels.

    [now burn the image]
# cdrecord -dao dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 foo.iso

Note that cdrecord needs write access to the device in order to burn
the disc (naturally).  Either run it as root, or say "yes" when
debconf asks if you want it installed setuid.

I haven't personally had any problems with cdrecord.

Does this clarify it?

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein