Re: why is /dev/cdrom owned by root:disk after installation?

Albert Dengg wrote:

Well, for the first point, the ownership of /dev/hdc:
Who tells the installer that /dev/hdc is a cdrom drive?

er ... isn't the automatic detection of the disks supposed to tell the kernel if it is a CDROM or CD-RW?

On 2 of my computers, for example, it is not.
The link alone does not matter, but if the installer would follow your proposal and make it owned by root:cdrom _and_ make every user a member of the cdrom group, we then have a device, which is probably a disk that is read _and_ writeable by any user on the system and that would most likely not be noticed until something that was not intended happens.

As I had mentioned in my message, "my CDROM ...". I may not have been clear in my message, but /dev/hdc was supposed to be an example. Based on my assumption that the kernel is doing automatic detection when it detects drives and disks (actually, I do see correct messages flashing by during the boot sequence).

now, the second point about making every user part of the cdrom group:
I don't think you actually need that for to reasons:
first, why should every user be allowed by default to mount, unmount and eject a cdrom, espacaly since there are also servers with users working remotly....

yup, servers should have that. I agree.

second, why should you have to be a member of the cdrom group to use a cdrom?

Because some of us want to make multiple tar archives and auto eject is such a nice thing. Oh, if this can be accomplished by some other means, it be nice to know.

to mount it, you only need a coresponding entry in the fstab.
you only need to be a member of the cdrom group to user cdrecord/dvdrecord etc, or use eject, which you do not _need_ to use (there is also a button on the cdrom drive to open/close it)

Think about a situation like above.

regards,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)