why is /dev/cdrom owned by root:disk after installation?

(okay, now I know why my previous two attempts at getting this throug have failed: wrong email address)

Hi,

I have installed Debian a few time (Woody as well as Sarge). Each time I notice that after installation, my CDROM device /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/hdc. But /dev/hdc is owned by root:disk.

After some research on google and mailing lists, I always reach the conclusion that to make any user able to use the CDROM properly, the ownership of /dev/hdc need to be changed to root:cdrom, and all users need to be made members of the 'cdrom' group. Making the users members of 'disk' group is vehementlyl discouraged, apparently it is not a good practice from security point of view.

So why is it the CDROM devices are owned by root:disk? If we always have to change (at leat I have to, and from newsgroups many other people have to too) the ownership to root:cdrom, and make all users members of cdrom group (after all, what other purpose is a CDROM for if not for the use of the users?), why do the developers not take this into account and configure the CDROM device accordingly and *not* make it owned by root:disk but by root:cdrom? And make all users members of the "cdrom" groups when they are created? Am I missing something here?

->HS