Re: X-problems with a sony multisync 17se

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:28:47PM +0100, sondi@bluewin.ch wrote:

> I have serious problems to start the X with my sony multisync 17se.

> My configuration is as follows:

> Debian 24 from ftp.de.debian.org (woody)
> XFree86 V4.4.0 (after I crashed with 4.1.0)

Is this from some Debian package (if one exists) or is it compiled from
Xfree86 source?

> Graphic-Device: 3dLabs Oxygen VX1 (Glint Permedia V3) on PCI 1:0:0
> Monitor: As described above.

> In fact my Screen keeps black like a starless night on tty07. It seems that
> the
> screen goes immediatly to suspend-mode when X is starting (the power-led
> goes
> off and only standby-led is on. All menue-functions on the controlpanel of
> the
> screen are disabled!?).

My monitor is a Sony Multiscan 15 sf2

I had a lot of identical blackouts when I was upgrading XFree.  I have
an S3 chip in a rather old card.  I was using xserver-s3 (v3.3.6).  I
could never get XFree V4.2.1 from the package to work.  I don't recall
if I had these blackouts with the 4.2.1 package or not.  Seems I did.  I
finally downloaded the source and compiled my own, installing under
/usr/local.

I never did determine why my screen did black out like this.  I had
xserver-s3 v3.3.6, and packages from xfree 4.2.1 installed.  Some
modules from the wrong version could have been messing things up.

One thing you might do if you have this X installed in /usr/local.
After I got 4.3 going, a few programs, Pan, for one, would not start
because they were getting unresolved symbols in some of the modules.
Some of the dynamic links were going to the 4.3 libraries, and were
conflicting, so I added this line to my .bashrc:
       export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/X11R6/lib/
and now my X seems to work alright.  I had thought to install the
standard X 4.3 package from SID, but I'm afraid I'd break it, so I think
I'm going to leave this alone for a while.

> All my settings in XF86Config-4 are from original vendor-datasheets.
> But i didn't set some clock modes. Could that sove my problems?
> Does anybody have some clock-mode-parameters that work with this screen?
> Is there a probe-tool available to get these parameters?

xvidtune from the xbase-clients allows you to experiment with different
xmode settings.