Re: burning CDs, or, Ah, now ESR's rant makes sense . . .

At 2004-03-17T22:23:27Z, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

> First I tried working with ide-scsi emulation, but after some corrections
> in a previous thread, I've given up on that.

OK.  You have to admit that without the ide-scsi detour, you wouldn't have
so much time wasted on the project.  I only mention that as an indication
that Linux *is* getting better, since the new native-ATAPI method works "out
of the box" without any weird user intervention.  Not all of the user tools
have caught up, sure, but the big change came with the introduction of the
2.6 kernel, and that was only a couple of months ago.  The rest should catch
up quickly.

> However, I can't figure out xcdroast or cdrecord without spending hours
> studying and/or burning a coaster or two in experimentation, and eroaster
> refuses to recognize my CD-RW.

I thought xcdroast was pretty easy, but that's just me.  Have you looked at
k3b (KDE's equivalent)?  I haven't messed with it too much, but lots of
people swear by it.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.