Re: burning CDs, or, Ah, now ESR's rant makes sense . . .

Kirk Strauser wrote:

At 2004-03-17T22:23:27Z, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

First I tried working with ide-scsi emulation, but after some corrections
in a previous thread, I've given up on that.

OK.  You have to admit that without the ide-scsi detour, you wouldn't have
so much time wasted on the project.  I only mention that as an indication
that Linux *is* getting better, since the new native-ATAPI method works "out
of the box" without any weird user intervention.  Not all of the user tools
have caught up, sure, but the big change came with the introduction of the
2.6 kernel, and that was only a couple of months ago.  The rest should catch
up quickly.

However, I can't figure out xcdroast or cdrecord without spending hours
studying and/or burning a coaster or two in experimentation, and eroaster
refuses to recognize my CD-RW.

I thought xcdroast was pretty easy, but that's just me.  Have you looked at
k3b (KDE's equivalent)?  I haven't messed with it too much, but lots of
people swear by it.

I just installed k3b and ran it via sudo; got this message:

cdrdao has problems with ATAPI writers
When K3b 0.10.3 was released no version of cdrdao was able to write without SCSI emulation. Although it is possible that there actually is a version with ATAPI support it is unlikely. Solution: A solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI emulation) for all devices. You may also install a more recent version of cdrdao which supports ATAPI devices.

which kinda points me back to ide-scsi emulation.

Nonetheless, it _looks_ like k3b has found the burner, but I'll have to risk burning a coaster to find out. Why the risk? Because there still isn't any indication that I'm burning the .ISO as an image rather than as a file. Sorry to keep ranting; I know there's nothing the folks on this list can do about it, but ESR is right.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer to k3b; it looks like it might work; I'll give it a spin and report back.

--
Kent