Re: DNS query

Tony, am pretty new to this but have a similar kind of setup at my home office and will try to provide some info that maybe will help.

At 09:09 AM 3/17/2004, Tony Bazeley wrote:

I have three machines using a static ip assignment
        1. running smoothwall  as a net gateway (192.168.1.1)
        2. XPpro
        3 debian woody

My office has five boxes

        1. win xp home workstation shares its dial up connection (192.168.0.1)
        2. win 98 workstation
        3. debian woody (192.168.0.3)
        4. fbsd 4.8
        5. redhat 9

On the debian machine I have set up the gateway in /etc/network/interfaces

mine looks like this

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.3
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.1
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1

and pointed to the name server by changing /etc/resolv.conf to
        search HOME
        nameserver 192.168.1.1

here's mine

# /etc/resolv.conf

search woody
nameserver 192.168.0.1

and that the name server is used by checking that /etc/nsswitch contains the entry
        hosts: files dns

mine has this line too (wish I had a clue what it means)

From my rather bleary-eyed reading of the Network Admin guide at this time of night it should work - but it doesn't.
Have I missed something?

Wish I understood what the heck I was doing; at this point can only say that connectivity on my intranet appears golden and maybe seeing my /etc/network/interfaces will help you.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
Web Installed Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml